Thursday, March 5, 2009

Bone Marrow Donors Needed!

I read an article today about this little 6 year old girl in New York (http://oneforjasmina.com/) who needs a bone marrow transplant.

Read the full article at: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/03/03/2009-03-03_little_girl_fighting_rare_and_deadly_leu.html.

AOL had a poll on their site about this story and they were asking if you were a registered bone marrow donor and of the nearly 70,000 people who had taken the poll only 15% of the folks answered yes. That breaks my heart more than you can even imagine! It is such a simple thing to do and the actual donation does not require any surgery or cost the donor anything. I know that I’m probably way too close to this situation since my husband will be getting his bone marrow transplant in just a couple weeks, to even be able to look at this girl’s situation in a neutral way but it’s my blog and I’ll be as biased as I want to be here!!

This story really brought home the fact that there are so many people out there who will never be able to find a marrow match. It is estimated that only 2 of every 10 people who search the registry will find a suitable donor. That means that out of every 100 people with these hideous illnesses that 80 of them will die before given another chance at life. That is so unacceptable to me! Go to http://www.marrow.org/ and learn how easy it is to get signed up…please. The matching is very dependent on your racial and ethnic background so this sweet little girl is going to have a hard time finding a donor. The African-American community is not very well represented on the registry. It looks like several prominent celebrities are helping out with this little girl and I hope it causes a huge swell of sign ups among among all backgrounds!

Before I leave this topic I just have to share this one last thing. I was reading some of the discussions going on below the article and I was appalled at the responses some of these people had to this story. This one in particular made my blood boil:

I would help her being an African American male, but the government screws you so much with the high taxes they make me pay and the bills. I just don't feel like helping anyone but myself right now. If I was rich like Paul Pierce. I would do something like help people like this little girl. I feel like this; let the government help her, that's where our hard earn money goes anyway.

What is happening to our country when people will put their anger with the government ahead of saving the life of a precious child?!? This is not about money and all the money in the world will not find a marrow match when the people are not on the registry! There is some controversy over who originally said, "If not you, then who, and if not now, then when." I don't really care who said it first but I am saying it now -- people are dying everyday because they need a bone marrow transplant and cannot find a donor. You could be the one that could save someone else's life so get out there today and get on the registry!

Can someone help me get off this soapbox now? I would hate to fall and crack my head open.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for stopping by to comment. I am grateful for your prayers.

Having worked with LLS, I can understand your thoughts on the bone marrow registry. Your husband has been in my thoughts and prayers as he prepares from his BMT on the 16th!

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

I hope they find a donor for her soon.

I can't believe that man said that....he only thinks of himself? thats his problem.

I've never thought of being a donor...I'll have to check into this.

Aubrey said...

I too have never thought about becoming a donor but I'm going to take a look at the link and see what I can do to help!

Also, will your hubby's transplant be happening here in Denver?