Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A funny thing happened on the way to the art show...

This weekend I went to this big sculpture show. Amazing pieces and really nice people (well, mostly). Ok…I gotta deviate and tell you about the mean lady. I have a friend who is totally into art but he couldn’t come to the show so I planned to take lots of pictures of the pieces and e-mail them to him. So, I’m walking around with my so professional looking Kodak Easyshare Point and Shoot camera from Wal-mart. I’m snapping pictures and the artists seem so pleased that someone likes their stuff enough to take a picture of it. I came to this one display of these strange little figurines doing yoga poses. I actually thought it was kind of creepy but intriguing at the same time. I snapped a quick picture and the artist said to me, “you should ask before you take a picture.” I apologized and asked her if she would like me to delete the picture. She said she did and that she is tired of people stealing her ideas. I thought to myself not only am I not stealing your ideas but I can’t imagine who would want to. And…if I had money to spend here, it would not be on your creepy little lumps. My girlfriend, Bee, was with me and she was appalled at how the woman acted. But don’t worry we verbally berated her to each other the rest of the afternoon – I’m sure her life will be deeply saddened that she can’t count us as fans of her work! ;-)

So back to the subject of this post…if I were normal, I would be showing you my favorite pieces but come on, admit it, we all know I am not exactly normal. I could show you art that inspires you and makes you want to be a better person. I could even show you works that bring back memories of a special time. But, instead, here is what you get…



Yep…that is a tooth whitening stand. I know, I said the same thing. Exactly who goes to an art show to get their teeth whitened? And this wasn’t just your run of the mill put this nasty gel stuff on your teeth for 20 minutes kind of place. This place had the chairs and the lights and everything. Maybe I’m just weird but sitting in a chair with my lips stretched in an unnatural way and a bright blue light shining in my face is not something I plan to do in full view of the public. I’m just sayin’….

2 comments:

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

Thats crazy! I see those things in the mall now too! But at an Art show?? Seriously?? Weird!

FloriKat said...

Is the message..."Don't go toward the [blue] light?" Just wondering. LOL.