Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Impossible Pie Recipe

Well..the impossible pie wasn't half bad so here's the recipe I promised:

4 cups of cooked, chopped leftovers (I used 6 chopped up hamburgers left over from DS's graduation party, about a 1 cup of shredded colby/monterey jack cheese, 1 bunch of green onions sliced, some garlic (probably about a tablespoon) and a couple handfuls of frozen broccoli. Not sure if it was 4 cups but it filled up the pie plate so I figured it looked right.)
3 eggs
2 tablespoons of canola oil
3/4 cup Bisquick
1 1/2 cups skim milk
1/2 teaspoon of both salt and pepper (well really it was a little mound in my palm but it looked like 1/2 teaspoon - can you tell I don't really use measuring cups a lot?)

You put all the leftovers in an 8" pie plate (spray it with Pam first) and then combine the eggs, oil, bisquick, milk, and salt & pepper in another bowl. Make sure you mix it until it's nice and smooth and then you pour it over the leftovers. I baked it at 400 for about 40 minutes but the original recipe said to bake it for 25-30 minutes. You'll know it's done when you put a knife in the middle and it comes out clean. I'm guessing my altitude accounts for the longer cook time.

My boys liked this and I found myself dreaming up other possible combinations for this recipe. I thought that ham and cheese with broccoli might be nice. I bet a Mexican version would be good too with chicken and chilies. This is a nice way to use up your leftovers.

No comments: